Tuesday, July 24, 2012

The Great Wall of China


I've been thinking about this trip for a few days now, especially considering the heavy rain Beijing is experiencing and remembering the time spent in the city. Looking back on my life I will forever be grateful for this experience of standing on the Great Wall of China. I never imagined I would have the chance. Sure I had thought one day I might stuff myself onto a tiny tin can and fly clear across the world for the chance of seeing such a structure, but come on I'm terrified of flying and that thought quickly left my mind. I'll leave the sordid thought of how long it too and the pains endured leading up to the trip and instead look through my rose colored glasses at the time and think fondly of the history in which I was fortunate enough to partake. 

                                          



















                                                                        


I must say too these are my sister's pictures {she's the one in purple above} because sadly much of mine were ruined by some issue my camera was having that day. Also ruined some pictures for the botanical gardens, which were not in bloom so I wasn't missing much. 

                   
 


I was a history major once upon a time in college. Actually have the degree but through other twists and turns went a different route after graduation that resulted in another undergraduate degree and in a few months my master's degree. But that's a whole other story. We went to a section of the wall that is not the typical tourist section. Thank heavens too because there are sections that are steep and you just don't want to have a whole crowd of people behind you! You can see some of the detail work. It was breathtaking. We were up in the mountain in the cool March weather and there before us stretched the Great Wall. We'd had the chance earlier in the time to see a few other sites I'll blog about later, but this one, this place, made the entire process and journey melt away and seem much more worthwhile. 

                                   

It is quite up there, not too many people moving about as you can see and we're far enough from the highways and roads to really hear much of anything. So it's you and your thought. You, the wall and the trees. And for a few moments you're stunned to silence. For a few minutes you give yourself over to thinking about what the wall represented and how long construction took and you are in utter awe it still stands today. We were in a section that had previously seen some repair work. There are entire sections falling apart and no one is allowed on those parts, but for the majority of the wall much still stands and remains today. The history side of me squeed with a child on Christmas morning. I was so excited. The political science part of me thought towards the countless names and faces who ultimately built the wall and the protection something like this would provide. The public administrator in me marveled they were able to accomplish so much but realized the lengths taken were not always ethical or just. But those are all discussions for later dates and times. For now I'll recall the journey again through rose colored glasses and hug the ground a little more knowing I don't have to climb in that sky bucket again! 

  

3 comments:

  1. This is something I want to do sometimes Go the silkroute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I won't lie, it was worth the flight and everything getting there. I never thought in my lifetime I would walk on the Great Wall and I have to pinch myself when I think about it even a year later. China is an experience for sure.

    ReplyDelete