Thursday, July 12, 2012

Nauvoo Temple

The final part of our short journey led us to Nauvoo. We had never been before and honestly by the time we arrived we were so hungry and tired that we didn't enjoy that first night at all. We ended up in our hotel room eating greasy pizza with muscles bunched up after the six hour drive from Missouri. 
The next morning we were dragging, exhausted from the previous day and from the pending 8 hour drive home. Our hotel came with a coupon for the restaurant down the street to we trudged through getting ourselves ready and really rethought the whole thing when we realized how hot it was outside. But alas we had only paid for one night so down the street we went.
This view reminded us though that the trip was worth it. As you can see the morning was little cloudy, but it lent well to the somber feeling we all had as we walked across the street to see the temple. It is stunning in all of it's beautiful morning glory. Standing as a resolute reminder of what once was and what has become. 
We do not have any pioneer ancestors so I cannot say that we lost family then, but as converts to the church I am ever so grateful for their sacrifice. I'm in love with this temples. I've had the great fortune to see a number of temples, but none with the detail work of this temple. The Nauvoo temple is one of a kind and is full of symbolism. 

I'm in awe of this temple and knowing that the design was very much similar to the original. We were all a little reluctant to leave temple grounds. Then again who isn't reluctant to leave the one place you can find peace in a crazy world of insanity.
One thing we did not realize was the temple runs special Monday sessions, but alas we had no church clothing and for us entering those doors in street clothes is not really an option. Just one more thing that will give us an excuse to return one day and do a session there. 
The sun was starting to make an appearance around the time we made our way across the street to see the beautiful flowers. The flowers were beautiful but unfortunately they were being eaten alive by the june bugs. This was shortly after the terrible flooding so I am sure the bugs were a little bit in heaven from all the ripe breeding conditions.


I realize now this looks a little crooked, but I love this picture. The sun slighting peeking through, the image of Joseph and Hyrum on horseback with the temple in the foreground. Some have misconstrued our perception of Joseph, and this is not the time nor place for the discussion of those thoughts, but I for one hold him in high esteem. In the end he gave all for his belief and at the end of the day you cannot argue with his steadfastness.
Our time with the temple came to a close far too soon, but we knew if we wanted to see more we would have to leave. I snapped this as we were leaving temple grounds. I love the reminder each of the temples bear of the sacred nature of the temple and to whom the temple truly belongs. 

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE the Nauvoo temple. We went to the open house when it was rebuilt and it was such an amazing and humbling experience. Especially since I was only 16 and had only done baptisms. It's seriously my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to go back! I want to do a session here so bad. I wish we had known it was open on Monday because I would have made sure to have clothing with me for this temple. But just an excuse to go back!

    ReplyDelete