Monday, July 30, 2012

Buckingham Palace

I went to Buckingham Palace. I just like to throw that around now. "You know that balcony, well it reminds me of the one at Buckingham Palace." or "Hmm that carpet just reminds me of Buckingham Palace." Or (and this is my favorite one) "Yes Catherine's dress was indeed amazing, but you really don't get to see how amazing until you see it up close. Like I did. When I went to Buckingham Palace." Yeah see they just don't get old!

I have to tell you getting to see Buckingham was quite an issue. I being the intelligent person I am reserved a space for mom, sister and I to visit. I was proactive! It was awesome! I scheduled it for 10 am in the morning and our plane was scheduled to land at 8:30 am at Gatwick, about 30-40 minutes north of London. So much for pro-activity!I did an immediate faceplam when I realized this. Thankfully our flight landed at 8:00 am and we were a little ahead of schedule. Getting there was still difficult in that we had to manuever five people through customs and on the train down to London and then to our hotel. It was touch and go there for a little while.

But we arrived, after some creative driving from our cabby (who was AWESOME!), in one piece to the palace. Then we had to race around the to side where you entered all to find out we could have been a few minutes late and still gotten in. SO I could have changed into real shoes and brushed my teeth rather than showing up looking like some poor slob who had thrown herself off a plane, onto a train, onto the tube, into a taxi and off onto the streets. I also could have used some real shoes instead of flip flops. My feet hurt after that excursion. But it was worth it. It was so worth it. I will say I have not a single interior picture, they don't let you take any. These were some of the first pictures I took of the entire trip.

The back of Buckingham. There is a small restaurant out here.

Tops of the lights. Look closely, it PINK!

Another shot of the back. It was a beautiful day.

Front fence. It doesn't move, found that out later.

Again, more lions. Symbol in England.

Detail on the front gate

More fish with the lamps

The aforementioned balcony. SO. FREAKING. COOL!

Detail work in one of the pediments up front.

Crest on the gates

Gate which leads into the courtyard. 

No comments:

Post a Comment