Monday, March 31, 2014

The Dehumanization of the workforce




I went to the unemployment benefits training today and I must say I've never felt less a human than today. I was later than planned due to Luna not feeling well these last few days and keeping me up; but I made it right before their 9:30 class since they only do them once an hour. I kinda started out looking like this:


Walking into the building was automatically depressing, no one says hello to you or even really acknowledges your presence. I stood at the counter a minute or two before the two employees behind the counter even acknowledges my presence. Sorry to interrupt your conversation with doing your job. The woman speaks so low and her words run together and I of course had to ask her to repeat herself, which seems to piss her off even more than the fact I had to gall to come in and interrupt her conversations. I get handed two pieces of paper, more mumbled directions, a clipboard and told to wait with the rest of the group for room A.

To the government issues uncomfortable chairs for the next few minutes while I wait for the room. It's a depressing office, government issued chairs with the institutional feel of blank walls and a bank of computers. We get called into the office and the woman who is "teaching" the class is really not much better. She speaks with the same rapid mumble and we get our paperwork completed. The entire process takes about 35 minutes from walking into the door and back out again. They make you watch this random video before you can leave; the volume is up so high I'm sure people the next town over can hear it. She left us with a booklet and a packet of papers with all our instructions regarding our responsibilities. In the end it feels like a process, you've been reduced back to your social security number and a vague name on a piece of paper they see for 20 minutes in the beginning and then shuffle you off to figure out the remaining confusion on your own. By the end I looked like this:

No comments:

Post a Comment